Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Livin' the Livermore Life (Almost)

The past two weeks Madie and I have gone out to California to visit Mike and scout for an apartment. It's been great to see Mike and exciting to think about our new home (although, let's be honest, it'd be even BETTER if we knew we'd be there for longer than five months). Livermore is beautiful. It's a sculpture of rolling hills lined with vineyards. Not to mention it's only about 45 minutes away from the coast--which is where we spent most of our time this past weekend.

Here we have a family picture on the rocky coast of Monterey.

The water was beautiful! We have tons of pictures from our visits to the bay, so most of them won't make it in.
One of the first things we did (both this week and last) was get seafood! Here's the famous chowder breadbowl on the wharf. (Well, famous at least with Mike, who couldn't wait for me to try it!) It was fun to sample all the chowder looking for the kind we wanted/could afford. Some of them are really good.


This is the first week, when we ate at an Italian restaurant. Mike's pasta was covered with clams. Tasty!


Mmmmmm... water glass.


We visited the Oakland temple that first week as well.


Back to Monterey! Honestly, I couldn't tell you for sure if the pelican is alive or dead. Nothing's picking at it, so I'm assuming it's alive. The sea lion is definitely alive. He had just climbed up there for a nap and kept re-adjusting himself.


At the aquarium, we felt some funky animals.


And made friend...well, okay, cats aren't even friends with other cats, so we'll call Conaan a "non-aggressive acquaintance."


Poor little Madie was all worn out. We've had some pretty big weekends.

As for Madie on the plane...tomorrow. I promise. You can trust me now. See, 'cause I added this one today, which is what I said I would do, and I did.

6 comments:

ML said...

I love it! These pictures are great and Madie's never fail to make me smile.
I remember the first time I drove to CA--I was struck by how beautiful it was.

Ave said...

Well done Mal. Now, for the packing. On second thought, just ask your Mum to do it.

Karen said...

Those pictures made me miss Monterey so much! It's one of my favorite places. Can't wait to go there when we come to visit you guys. And by the way, I'm thinking the pelican looks pretty dead.

Michael said...

i googled 'sleeping pelican' and 'dead pelican' in google images, and it looks to be dead. Unless this is an unusual pelican that lays in a dead position? We should have thrown a piece of bread at it!

Mal said...

Yeah, I think that woman was crazy.

holly said...

So cute! I'm sure it's hard being far apart for so long...hang in there! Love that little girl...she is getting so big!