Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mike's New No-Do

The time has come! Friday night, Mike came out of the bathroom, climbed into bed, and said,

"I think it's time to shave my head."

He's been talking about doing this for a while - since we met really. Not that he wanted to do it right then, but in that this-is-inevitable kind of way. I had no problem with it. My dad has been either balding or bald since I can remember, and there were times when just shaving it off probably crossed his mind. I know it did mine. (Dad, I love you, but the peninsula/island look doesn't work for any man.) And ever since Dad lost pretty much the rest of his hair, he's looked pretty good, so shaving the head and skipping the awkward years sounded like a good plan to both Mike and me.

He's got a ridge that runs along the top of his head. We thought this might be really noticeable when he took off the hair that helped cover it. Luckily though, you can't see it at all unless you're maybe 6' 3" or more and the light hits it just right. I guess it's one of those things that feels a lot bigger when you touch it than it actually is.

We're being pretty careful with the sun right now. He wore a hat when we went to work on the garden on Saturday morning (an hour or two after he shaved it). He didn't wear one when we rode our bikes to the gym, but it's only about a five minute ride so we weren't too worried. So we've made it one day! We'll see how things go from here!

5 comments:

Tyler said...

Wow Mike. It takes some guts to do that. I have been thinking of buzzing mine but not sure of shaving it because of all the sun here in AZ. You actually make a pretty good looking bald man.

Sunscreen!!!!

Michael said...

Haha seriously...lots of sunscreen. Yeah, I feel pretty liberated. My scalp is so white, it will probably take a few weeks of getting used to so much exposure. I'll definitely be wearing lots of hats this summer.

Unknown said...

my dad shaved hid head and shaved it pretty often, like every couple days. he put sunscreen on everyday!

Ave said...

Looks good. I approve.

holly said...

Claire took one look and said, "He looks like a handsome guy." Couldn't have said it better myself and Ethan nodded his head in approval - we love the new do!