Friday, October 9, 2015

Parent-Teacher Conference and a Madie Story

Mike and I met with Madie's teacher on Monday. My favorite part of meeting with her teachers so far has been getting to read through some of her work--a lot of it stays at the school until the end of the year, at which point, I glance through some of them, pick a couple to read later, and the rest are put directly into the recycling bin. Then, generally, I never get around to reading the couple I've saved. When I go in to meet with the teacher I actually read through a couple of her stories, and I have the expert reading skills of a 1st grade teacher at my disposal. (Seriously, Madie's K teacher had me in literal awe--my mouth hung open and everything--by her reading skills.)

This is my favorite story I've ever read by Madie--she's improved a lot in her story-telling. She includes more than just the facts now. She's got adjectives all over the place.


One night me and my mom went to my uncle's house.

Because he didn't want his dog.

He was a pit bull. His name is Elvis. He is funny. I like him. He has a sad face. It is hil-

-larious. I love him. He hears good.

He likes to play fetch and he likes to wrestle. 
(Ignore the brown. It snuck its way into this picture.)

He is brown and he does not like treats. His whole body is funny.

He only like pig ears. We have had him for three years!

So not all of it is true--Levi, I know, did still want his dog, but felt he would be happier with us. Also, we've only had him for a little over a year and a half.

3 comments:

ML said...

Tell Madie that I think this is a fine story. In fact, I think it is well worthy of an illustration to go along with it--I hope she does it!

ML said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mal said...

She did illustrate it, but when I scanned it in, the scanner didn't color it! So it was difficult to tell what the pictures were. I DO have a sweet illustration of a fairy she did today. We were at a book festival, and an illustrator from Newport taught a kids' workshop on fairy illustrations. (Her latest book is a fair picture book.)