The USS Albacore was a test sub built in Portsmouth, NH. It was taken back there as the first ship to be preserved on land--the ships left in the harbors deteriorate and are difficult to maintain. This was the best $7/head I've ever spent--not to mention kids under 12 are free!
When we first walked in, Madie and Finn must have had a little claustrophobia. The rooms are, of course, tight. We entered right in some sleeping quarters. The kids immediately wanted out. I said, "Well, it's a one-way ship, so we've got to keep going now." Technically this was true, but we were right next to the door with no one behind us (we got there as they opened--it was raining). The point is, they kept going, reluctantly.
Eventually they calmed down some, and once we were finished, they asked to do it again, so I nursed the baby in the gift shop then we went back and did it again!
Sorry the pictures are a little fuzzy. I was taking them while holding the baby the whole time.
 |
| Madie and Finn try out the beds. They thought it was kind of cool, but couldn't believe men as big as Dad slept in these! |
 |
| Madie in the ship's office. |
 |
| There were lots of bathrooms, but some were just showers. The kids thought this one with the red light was hilarious. They kept opening it and saying, "RED LIGHT!" I showed the kids one that looked like just a mirror and a shower head, but then I showed them that a toilet and sink pop out of the walls. For some reason, that was a lot less impressive than this red-lighted shower. |
 |
| A picture Madie took of me and Petya in a bed. This was my attempt to get them to try it out. |
 |
| Madie giving orders. |
 |
| Finn in one of the door ways. It's pretty impressive to think of how quickly they needed to be able to move through these little hatches. Each door weighs about 700 lbs and is water-tight. |
No comments:
Post a Comment