Mr. Finnegan turned 3 this month! We know, we know--we're late. It was like 5 weeks ago. We're were having some technical difficulties with out pictures.
Finn has been looking forward to his birthday for months. Somehow, back in January, he got it into his head he wanted a firetruck cake. (You don't have to, but you're welcome to read "somehow" as "Madie put this idea in his head.") Since then it has become a favorite activity of the kids to look at pictures of cakes and talk about what they want for their birthday. Madie likes to suggest things like, "A Spiderman cake, Finn? That would be fun!" or "You really like baseball. How about a baseball cake?" I felt like I could make the firetruck cake in a loaf pan, so I kept slicing my hand across my neck and making eyes at Madie whenever she would do that. Alas, she has yet to figure out that social cue. But in the end, I won out. The kid loves fire trucks. We saw a man in his uniform at the grocery store one mid-morning and when I told Finn he was a fireman, he was enamored the rest of the trip. He ended up in the checkout next to us, but got out before we did and Finn was sad he didn't get a chance to talk to him.
| A smile for the birthday boy, love Baby P. |
We started out the day with opening presents. We even fit it in before Mike went to work.
| His very own camping chair from Nana and Papa! |
| A bright yellow umbrella from Grammy and Grampy. They also sent him a camo raincoat! They are still big hits. |
| Bubbles. |
| And the piece de resistance: a tricycle. He loves being able to ride around on his own. |
![]() |
| No I didn't use dye. I know. Lame. But ya know what, Finn nor I cared very much at all. |
I had finished--or I thought I had finished--frosting the front, top, and side I would have facing him and told him to come take a look. He looked at it and said, "What is it?" I said, "It's a fire truck!"
"Where are the wheels?"
"That's what these are down here, it's just the plate it's on makes it so you can't see the rest of them."
"Where's the ladder?"
"Oh, I didn't put a ladder on it."
"It's not a firetruck."
"Okay, I think I can put a ladder on it, Buddy. Hang on."
I piped a ladder along the side and THEN it was a firetruck. He was so excited about that ladder he kept pointing it out to Madie and Mike from the times they got home until he blew out the candles. So maybe it's the ladder he loves? Or the combo? Note taken.
All-in-all, it was a pretty awesome birthday.


No comments:
Post a Comment