Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Family Home Evenings

For those of you who may not know, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints encourages families to hold a family night once a week, generally on Monday, but really any night that works best for your family is fine. It typically includes a short lesson and an activity, and most families include a treat too.

In the past our family nights have been close to nonexistent, despite the help from my sweet mother-in-law to make it easier. I guess it's just been that since our kids are so young every even is spent at home with everyone. Not to mention trying to keep anyone's attention for a lesson--even a short one--is difficult. But this past year we have been fairly good at it. We at least grab one of the pre-arranged lessons my mother-in-law has provided us and give it--but still I was feeling lately like maybe we should be putting a little more effort into things. Like, maybe pick our lesson a little bit earlier, instead of right after dinner. So I downloaded this FHE app to my Android. It's basically just a rotating calendar. I input each participant's name, and each of the tasks involved in our FHEs and the app just rotates once a week so each week we all have a new task. I must say, our FHEs have been so great lately! Obviously not because of the app, but because we know in advance who will be doing what, and we involve everyone now in the planning, instead of just me and Dad. Here are some shots from our most recent FHE.
Okay, this one is a little posed, sorry. We didn't get a picture of Madie giving her lesson, so Mike handed her the picture she was using when she did give it and told her to hold it up like she was teaching again. 
Mike and Finn have each taught one lesson so far, Finn used one of those lessons Nana sent us. Honestly, I can't remember Mike's. (Love you!!) Madie and I have each taught two, and Petya has taught one, which means I've actually taught three. Madie's lessons have been great. Her first lesson, five weeks ago, was on Esther (see next image). Esther is her favorite scripture story. When she can't fall asleep she often will ask me to tell it to her. I've tried other stories--one about Eve, one about Goldie Locks, and others--but she always goes back to asking for this one, despite my poor story-telling skills. Last night she taught a lesson about the creation. I asked her on Sunday what she'd like to teach about and she said she didn't know anything other than Esther. I got down this book of scripture-based art and told her to stop me when she saw something she wanted to teach on. When we turned to the second page she saw these pictures of Earth and Space and said, "Is that Space? I want to teach on that." I asked if she wanted me to help her come up with what to say and she said she already knew, so that was it. Really, other than a little prompting from me during her lessons, she teaches all by herself and even asks us questions. Last night it was, "What's your favorite animal." She shared hers, then Finn shared his, then I shared mine. When Dad didn't jump in right away to share his she said, "Dad? What's your favorite animal?" 

Madie's drawing of Esther. I don't know what it says, so don't ask. I love her drawings though--she feels no need to only use one color on anything. Hair, dresses, faces--they all have multiple colors.
Finn had the treat this week. Normally I let them pick the treat themselves, but Saturday Mike showed up after a visit to the store with a bag of dates. This was a couple days after Grammy Boone's date squares had come up briefly in conversation, so I knew then that the thought of date squares had pitched a tent right in the front of his brain and settled in to watch him give in to the craving. "What are those for?" I asked. "Oh, I think you know." So, I guess in a couple weeks Finn will get to pick what he wants when it's actually Dad's week. 

Finn was distracted when I was making the actual date squares, despite my trying to get him to help me. He did help whip the cream we ate on top of them, and he got out the dessert bowls and forks for everyone and he took a square to each person.
Delicious date squares.

We didn't get a picture of Dad's activity, which was a riotous game of Moneda, Moneda. Quien Tiene La Moneda? (Penny, Penny. Who Has the Penny?) Technically, I didn't have a job this week, but I did help Petya by telling everyone what she told me about her job, which was to pick the music. She wanted to sing Tick, Tock, Cuckoo Clock really badly. Then we sang I Lived In Heaven while she conducted. I have been enjoying our family nights so much lately, and I feel like the kids are participating so much more, and getting more out of it.

No comments: