Sunday, February 22, 2015

Snow, snow, and more snow

We have received a bit of snow lately...and by a bit, I mean a LOT. We have set records this winter for snowfall and temperature. The average temperature in February was 4 degrees. That's right, four! We have been hit with storm after storm of light, fluffy powder with no thawing. It has been quite impressive, though expensive to plow. Our plow guy is having a great year though. I'm just thankful this year had a mild December and half of January. We have also only lost power once, and it was when everyone was here for Petranella's blessing (of course!). 

It's amazing what you can do in the cold weather though. I've really made a solid effort to get outside this winter because I need it. If I don't, I'm pretty miserable. So I go out with the kids, and they can't get enough of it. We will be out playing in 5 degree temperatures, and they just love it! A huge element in their enjoying outside play has been great winter boots. If you don't have the right gear, you will be cold and miserable. We didn't have the best boots for Madie last winter, and I was afraid it would ruin her desire to spend time outside. But this year, Madie has told me multiple times that winter is her favorite season, and she loves the snow. I asked her why, and she said "Because I can climb on it and make things." That is a really cool part of snow. You can make almost any dream come true, as long as you can build it! It's the American Dream, except for a child. She is loving school, and is making a lot of friends. She gave the scripture in Primary today and (from what Mallory said) was able to recite it at a level that was audible to the human ear. Usually, she whispers it so quietly nobody can her. Kudos to her! She is feeling more comfortable in front of people. I think school and church are easing her social anxieties a bit.

This is not the latest photo of the snow cave...I don't think a photo would do it justice at this point. We have at least three feet of snow on the ground right now, with some areas that were victimized by snow drifts. I don't know if a snow cave is worth my effort since the kids never go inside! We'll see how it goes in future years. The kids climb on it more than anything. 

Petranella loves being on her belly, and is finally getting into a sleep groove. She just rolled over for the first time this week, and sucked on her first strawberry tonight. She is such a cuties. 

This little guy has been my right hand man for taking care of the snow. Well, sort of. He loves going out with me no matter what temperature it is outside. He loves getting the blue shovel to push snow around, which is awesome. He has always been helpful and interested in doing whatever I'm doing. Lately, he has been going through this phase of being scared of No Noggin (character from curious George), and bad guys. He can psych himself out pretty bad if he is alone in his room, so we have had to be extra cognizant of what he is watching and adjust his quiet time routine to leave the door open. One thing I love about Finn is his imagination and creativity. I got him a toy power tool set for Christmas, but he turned all of those into weapons. A gun (the drill), and a sword (jig saw attachment).
Madie takes such good care of Petranella. She loves her little sister.


No comments: