Thursday, December 1, 2011

Easy Advent Calendar

Sorry about not getting the other pictures from our trip up yet. Our camera's batter got wet and Mike thinks some of the inside of the camera did too, so it's out of commission right now and we just haven't taken the SM card to the store to get any pictures put on a disc and the other pictures we took while we were there are on my mum's camera so we're waiting on her to email them to us--hint hint.

In the mean time, I was able to get a fairly decent snapshot of our Advent calendar that I FINALLY finished. (It is not at all what I was planning on--many mess-ups later and this is what we have.) It was taken on our Flip video camera and snapped on the computer so it's not as good as an actual picture.

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome, even if it's not what I was going for in the first place. And I really like that it adds a little more to our Christmas decor. We don't really have much in that collection. Basically, right now we have stockings up and the advent calendar and a string of poinsettia lights around our kitchen window that I got as a Christmas decor-deprived single college student. Oh, I guess I did also pay $1 on a little bell ornament for our doorknob. I'm desperate here.

Things will get better on Saturday when we go get our Christmas tree. Most of our decorations are for trees and wreathes.

So I cut out these little squares of patterned cardstock. I used the scraps (cut to size) to stamp the date and write a scripture on. Mike went through and found a scripture to be read every night for Advent, ending with Luke 2 on December 24th. I punched holes at the top and bottom of each card and strung 1/4" ribbon through. Then I just wrapped each end of a string of florist's twine around a piece of candy (Lindt chocolates and strawberry hard candies) and then hung it on the ribbon strung between the cards. Easy-peasy, if you're looking for a last-minute DIY Advent calendar.

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

ML said...

Oh Mallory! You are as homemakey and crafty as Martha and I am jealous! It's beautiful.

Jessica :) said...

Cute idea! I really like it, even if it didn't turn out the way you intended.