Monday, April 2, 2018

Winter: That's a Wrap

Old man winter is loosening his grip over the state of Maine, and warmer days are ahead. Those moments where you look forward to a 40 degree day! Here are a few highlights from our winter:

The kids have been hanging upside down on the bunk bed a lot lately. Somehow, I was able to convince all of them to turn their face toward me for a quick photo. Madie usually resists any sort of paparazzi-type of treatment. 

We went for a fun hike and explored the ice. Finn has been very curious about peregrine falcons and birds of prey, so he is geared up for some wildlife. 

 Always good to check the guide book!

One highlight was building an igloo and taking the three older kids camping in it. I had been waiting for a good dump of snow, and it finally came! Conditions were perfect for making it, but I only had one night to do it. The following day, temps were going to drop significantly. Unfortunately, I didn't get a roof on the igloo during that narrow time slot. I threw a tarp over the top and called it good. Temps got down to 13 degrees that night. With windchill, it must have been close to zero. Being in that shelter made all the difference, though! Great experience for the kids.  



That's what survival looks like.  


 Mal and I got out to xc ski 2-3 times. It's probably my favorite winter sport, and makes for a great date night. My favorite type of ski date is under the dark night sky that is littered with stars and no head lamp. 

And hey, I was even able to get Madie out on skis. Her first time out, she went a whopping 4 miles! She is tough when she chooses to be, and I'm glad she chose to be tough around Eagle Lake this day. Way to go, Madie!

No comments: