This February break hasn't been the sledding-stuffed, play fest I had imagined. Saturday night Nell was sick half the night, and Mike stayed home from church on Sunday to take care of her. It was a little heartbreaking because by the time the other kids and I were leaving, she was feeling fine, but we didn't want to run the risk of getting anyone else sick or that she might not actually be over it--stomach bugs are fickle things. When it came time to leave, she was weeping into Dad's lap with a dress she'd picked out hanging from her fist. I couldn't even get her to give me a hug goodbye.
The fun continued when Mike jumped out of bed early early Tuesday morning after he heard a splatter in the kid's room. Sure enough, Madie was sick now. Then Finn. We spent Tuesday sitting at home. Finn bounced back after just a few hours. By dinner time he was fine. Madie slowly improved all day, but she slept through most of it. Right before bed she had enough of an appetite to have a couple small pieces of toast. Thankfully this morning she woke up and told Dad she was "100% better."
Here we are, Wednesday morning, and now it's my turn. I woke up at 3-something without really knowing why, so I went down to switch over some laundry. While I was at it, it hit me. I've been horizontal most of the day. The kids, for the most part, have gotten along really well. I have been well enough to stand up long enough to get them some lunch, but other than that, Madie has been instrumental in keeping Nell entertained and helping to get snacks, etc.
![]() |
| It's a good thing she likes to read. She doesn't get bored easily because of it. |
Once I started to feel a little better, I told Finn and Petya they could pick out some books. Petya was complaining to me through most of the first one about how her bandaids were too tight--she's been sucking on her fingers so much, her skin is peeling. I told her they looked fine, but she continued to complain. Eventually she quieted down and I looked down at her to find her snoozing gently.
![]() |
| Never mind the face. Madie snapped this while I was reading Calvin and Hobbes, and you just can't get the vocalizations right without a little effort. |
Here's hoping for a better rest of the week!


No comments:
Post a Comment