We really enjoy hosting visitors and playing tourists, it gives us a chance to visit places we love and explore new areas we haven't been. Nana and Papa flew into Boston, which meant we got to drive down there to enjoy a few historical sites before their plane arrived.

We went to Bunker Hill, where Madie and Finn climbed to the top of the monument. It was great to read and visit some Revolutionary War history right before Independence Day.
We walked the Freedom Trail to the U.S.S Independence, which is ship from the War of 1812. Although we didn't actually go onto the ship, there was a museum that had a whole bunch of information about the ship right next to it.
They even had hammocks! The kids commented that they wanted to get some for their rooms. I think it would be cool.
After we picked up Nana and Papa, we stopped by the temple so Mal and I could do some ordinances, then continued on to our condo we were renting in Killington, VT. Along the way, Finn announced he had to go potty. I pulled off the nearest exit and we found a woodsy area that looked like a trail head. I had Finn lean against a rock and let it rip. He did well, except while readjusting his feet he stepped in his pile a bit. We had some cleaning to do. Nana and Papa helped entertain the kids with equations and spellings for Madie, tablets and iPad's, etc.
The condo was very comfortable and fit us perfectly. The kids were most excited to sleep there. Before we left for our trip, I asked Finn what he was looking forward to the most. He replied, "Sleeping". He was referring to the bunk beds they were going to sleep in. The idea of sleeping in those sounded so fun to the kids! They were sold on getting bunk beds after spending a couple of nights in those.
The next morning, we headed to Sharon, VT to visit the birthplace of Joseph Smith. It was a beautiful site, and I learned some new history that I hadn't previously known. The Church owns just over 400 acres of land there, which includes the foundations from other family members. A few of the highlights include riding in the gas powered golf cart through the woods to visit these sites (kids loved the ride), and enjoying the peace of the area.
After Sharon, we headed up to Ben & Jerry's for a factory tour. The drive through Vermont was very beautiful. The mountains were so green and pretty. It was fun to visit Ben and Jerry's. They had a literal graveyard of old retired flavors, tombstones and all. The tour was okay. It was interesting to hear their process. They had some free samples at the end. It was worth doing it.
We visited the Cold Hollow Cider Mill afterwards, and it was so good! Great donuts, apple cider, and other Vermont-y goods.
You can't go to Vermont without visiting covered bridges! We passed two on our way home.
Sugarbush Farm.
Just to break the drive home a bit, we drove through the White Mountains. They were beautiful! We stopped by the Maine Wildlife Park to catch to wildlife as well. This park was a very pleasant surprise. Great views of the animals, and quite the diversity. The kids loved seeing all the animals. I think their favorites were the eagles, and the bears.
Madie and Finn loved using the park maps to try and figure out where we were, and leading us to where we should go next. Madie was very proud to show us her map.
Great to be back home for the 4th of July weekend! We made the most of it by going to the beach and lakes plenty. Here, Papa tagged along with Petranella to play in the water. The kids played in sand, and made small ponds to walk in. They also chased the waves for a bit.
The next day, we ran to Echo Lake. That water was cold! I was trying to help Madie get over her fear of swimming in lakes. She was so insistent that she needed a wall to push off (like the YMCA pool). When I was young, I actually learned to swim best in shallow water, and pushing off the bottom with comfort in knowing I could put my feet down whenever I felt I needed to. She eventually got it on the 4th of July when we went to Lake Wood.
Madie was the first to lay down here in the sand....then Petya plopped down right next to big sister. Then Finn joined in.
I'm glad I could at least get their faces.
A nice stroll around Bar Harbor after some Ben and Bills ice cream.
On Sunday, we went to Thuya Gardens for a short hike and walk around the garden.
I couldn't believe how much candy the kids got from the 4th of July parade! It was like Halloween. It seemed that just about every float was throwing out candy. It was a great parade, and seemed a bit more robust this year than I remember previous years. Perhaps because it is the centennial year for Acadia?
Nana and Nella.
Posing at Lake Wood.
My little Lost Boy. I love watching Finn play in the water and try to catch critters with his hands.
The fireworks show was incredible. We played cards leading up to it, trying to kill time. Finn was wired the moment we were there. It was one of those moments I wish we had a cage for him, because he was about as wild as an animal. He was bouncing around, jumping, spinning, running...so much energy! The kids did pretty well for the fireworks. Finn wanted his ears covered at first, but soon removed his hands and enjoyed the show.
Papa is now officially on Petranella's ear lobe watch list.
Papa hired Madie to be his piano teacher before heading home. Madie showed him some scales, notes, and gave him some assignments to work on in Arizona. For his good work, she gave him a blue star.





























No comments:
Post a Comment