We have also been making a chicken coop, and a run. It's been busy getting things ready for the chickens, but we are excited at the prospect of having them in our backyard. I have never owned chickens before, but I really like the idea of giving the kids meaningful chores and opportunities to work and build character. Also, what a great experience! Growing up in California, I never had these opportunities. We had very small gardening opportunities with our limited land. I feel that we can do so much more with the land we have. Having this land is a lot of work, but I'm hoping it will eventually start to pay off with getting chickens, having a productive garden, and lots of activities.
One thing I love about our life here in Maine is how much time the kids spend outside. They are always outside doing something. We rarely have the TV on (maybe once per day). Madie stays very busy reading many chapter books, and even starting/finishing one chapter book in a single day. She is a very impressive reader at 6 years old. I'm always looking for fun things to add to our backyard to make it even more enticing to be outside. For example, last Christmas we got a slackline. Madie loves this thing! Finn is still a little too young, or just indifferent. We also finished our climbing wall on the side of the garage. Which, as it turns out, is probably rated a 5.13c, and I can't even climb it! I'd like to get a zip line and a trampoline at some point. Really, anything to keep the kids outside. It's especially fun when they have friends over.
![]() |
| Madie training on the slackline |
![]() |
| A Sunday evening, after the kids go to sleep. Mallory and I squeeze onto the couch together to read our own books and enjoy the sound of silence. |
Madie had her Spring Concert with her school a week ago. I think it's great that she goes to such a music-oriented school. She sang with her class.
Petranella is such a goof ball. She is still obsessed with grabbing and snuggling ears. She is also turning into quite the jokester. She is very playful and loves to be outside. Whenever we are outside playing or working on a project, she can be found somewhere in the yard pushing her infant stroller around the yard. She is very dedicated to pushing this, along with all of the other stuff she collects inside of it. A few typical items she will tote usually include a helmet, some rocks, Elvis's tennis ball, and a soccer ball. She loves to push that around the drive-way loop, but isn't afraid to take it into the fenced in garden, greenhouse, or even the back woods for that matter. She is starting to say more words, but doesn't seem interested in mimicking anyone just yet. A lot of her conversations do involve Elvis (whom she refers to as Gog-gog-gog). Elvis takes it all like a champ.
Mr. Finnman has just started playing T-ball, but has been doing a lot of batting with me at home. I think he generally has fun going to T-ball every week, but he especially likes to bat. He was pretty proud of his new T-ball shirt he got this last week. He really has incredible hand-eye coordination. He has great form when he is batting, and can occasionally hit it over 20 yards. He is pretty consistent too. One of the first things he asks me when I get home from work is, "Can we go play baseball?" Music to my ears. Finn has also been into playing with his small plastic animals, particularly his alligator. I guess he found it abandoned at the playground, and has been playing and sleeping with it ever since. Mal has even got out some pie tins and filled them with water so that he could have a little lake for the gator.
![]() |
| Every kids favorite part about Home Depot. |
![]() |
| Hands in the pockets. I love it when they discover these. |
I can't remember if I have written about this before, but the kids love reading about Calvin and Hobbs. LOVE. I get a kick out of it too. Finn will even randomly recite certain lines from something we have previously read.
We are excited for summer. We have some camping trips being planned, along with a visit from Nana and Papa, and many other exciting adventures in this beautiful area of the world we live in.








No comments:
Post a Comment