Thursday, January 1, 2015

2014

Okay, I failed. We threw a New Years Eve Party for Early-Risers last night. It went from 7 to 10:30 and was a lot of fun, buuuut I didn't get any pictures. Sorry folks! I was too busy eating gumbo, pavlova, nachos, no-bake cookies, and whatever Trevor calls those brie pastry things. And around all that eating I was trying to carry on polite conversation and nursing a baby, so no time for picture-taking.

As I've thought over the past year I've determined that I can't really hold a grudge against 2014, although I may want to. I will admit I couldn't bring myself to send out an update on our family this year to those we usually do. I sent out far fewer cards than in the past and only included some highlights of the kids. When Mike first suggested I get started on a family update, I sat down to do it and just couldn't get past the very beginning of the year. 2014 promised to be so bright from the get-go and only 4 months in it proved to be a bit of a liar. At the beginning of December I was feeling pretty putout with the whole year.

But you know, it's hard to stay angry when there have been plenty of blessings, even some surrounding Kait's death. So, on with the highlights of 2014!

I got a brand-new niece! Real early in the year--was it January 5th?--little Miss Mary came along! And she is one bright-eyed, big-cheeked wonder.

The day after Mary was born, we adopted my brother's dog. This was great for our family. We had been looking to adopt a dog for a few months, but it proved to be expensive and Mike in particular was having doubts we'd find a good fit for our budget and family. Then Levi offered us Elvis. It was perfect: he cost us nothing, and we already knew him. And the best part was he came perfectly trained.

I got a brand-new brother-in-law. In fact, amongst my siblings, he's my only brother-in-law. I haven't had the chance to really get to know Connor as well as I hope to yet, but I have enjoyed getting to know him as much as I have. I do hope he'll come to Maine for a visit sometime this year or next.

I've been prompted to foster a closer relationship with my Heavenly Father and that has proven to be uplifting at times when nothing else has been, and I'm sure will continue to be so in 2015.

I got to visit Holly's family in Idaho, and although almost everyone in the house fell ill, it was nice to see them. Especially since it's not something we get to do often. And we were able to celebrate Emily's first birthday!

I got a brand-new daughter! (Sorry everyone else, this one tops the charts.) Petya is smiley and has even started giggling if I play peek-a-boo with her. Finn loves her and her feet and Madie loves her and her "plotched-out cheeks," and her "silly eyes," and she is "too funny and too cute to be on earth."

The delivery of my brand-new daughter was the easiest, fastest delivery I've ever experienced. Now THAT'S a highlight!

My mum and in-laws came for a visit around Petya's birth and blessing. It was great to get together with them.

My brother Jacob came for a visit with his girlfriend Cindy and surprised my mum. And he surprised us all with a mission call! He reported to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah yesterday at 2 pm. And although all of that is great, the best part is Finn has forged what I hope will be a long and lasting relationship with his uncle.

I got a brand-new nephew! Seven days after Petya was born, so was Mr. Chase. I haven't had the chance to meet him yet, but his pictures are pretty cute.

So you see, overall, 2014 has been good to me and mine. And looking at things pragmatically, it's hard to believe 2015 could do worse or better.  And I'm striving to live by a quote I saw on Goodreads:

"How would your life be different if...You could control the outcome of your day, your week, your year? Let today be the day...You embrace the truth that you do have such control to label every event in your life, and create an agreement with reality that empowers you and propels you to greatness." 
- Steve Maraboli in The Power of One

No comments: