Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Nana & Papa get to use their passport

Nana and Papa came to visit at the beginning of November to be here for Petranella's blessing. It was great having so much help from both of our parents, especially since we live so far away from them. We'll write about Petranella's blessing in our next post, but it was quite a shocker due to the weather. Fall in Maine is somewhat unpredictable, and the day after Nana & Papa arrived from 90 degree Arizona, they fall right into a huge snow storm that knocks the power out for over 30 hours. Welcome to Maine!

Dad helped me with a few fix-it projects around the house while they were here, Mom helped cook some meals, and both were great about watching the kids for us so Mal and I could go on a date, go for a walk...all the stuff that we don't normally get to do unless we find a babysitter of some sort. It was so nice. 

The kids favorite part of having someone visit is going to the guest bed in the basement when they first wake up (between 6 and 7 am) and pouncing on the guests (this is everyone's warning). Madie really enjoyed Papa's imaginative stories that he shared, and Finn liked Nana reading him books. 

One of the days they were here and while Madie was at school, I took Nana, Papa, and Finn to Canada. Specifically, we went to Campobello to see the lighthouses. It was a fun trip that gave a glimpse of small town life in Lubec, Maine. Since tourist season was done, the town was pretty much shut down, leaving no restaurants open, expect one small diner. It was literally a one-man show. He had a small menu, but made some pretty good food. It was to watch Dad talk with the locals. He is genuinely interested in talking with people and finding out about their lives and the area they live. At one point, when we were eating lunch in the diner, he was sitting at someone's table just chatting it up. I don't think myself, or any of my siblings have that gene quite to the extent that Papa does. But that's Dad! Always talking to people.

Nana & Finn looking to Canada.
Obviously, in Canada.

At the pebble stone beach, Roosevelt Campobello International Park.

Those stones aren't as easy to tread on with small boots.

East Quoddy Lighthouse (Canadian Side).
Rockwell painting, anyone?

This is the West Quoddy Lighthouse, also known as the eastern most part of the states (I say states because I'm quickly reminded that Saipan is the most eastern part...but it's not a state...so there!)

This lighthouse is beautiful. Probably my favorite yet.


When we were walking up to the lighthouse, we noticed two porcupines digging for grub in the grass. This was about as close as I wanted to get. I'd never seen one up close, in broad daylight, unless they are dead on the side of the road. I actually see more dead porcupine roadkill than anything else in Maine.

Finn was a great travel buddy. It was a fun day.


No comments: