Monday, September 15, 2014

Mommy, Wow!

Finn's possibly a big boy really soon.

Sorry, the rhyming was off there, but I can't say we're officially potty training yet. It was easy with Madie; hers was the personality dictating that if she peed on the toilet once, she would never again pee in her diaper. When it happened by accident one evening, I thought, Well there. Starting on Monday, we're potty training. That's what we did and she was potty trained except for nights in a week. Two months later, we were totally done. We even took a trip across the world and she peed in Grammy and Grampy's toilet on a different time schedule without a hitch.

Finn's not so predictable. He also has been much less interested in the toilet than Madie was at his age. We had to offer him potty treats (yes, in certain cases, I openly bribe my children) just to sit on the toilet. It terrified him. Once we were to the point though that he was sitting on the toilet every 30 minutes for 3 seconds so he could collect his treat I cut him off.

"Sorry buddy, but remember? Now you need to actually do something into the toilet to get a treat. Whenever you poop or pee you'll get a treat, okay?" No. Not okay. But Mum's a meanie and didn't back down despite his fitting. For a week or two he didn't bother sitting on the toilet again.

Here we are, maybe 3 or 4 weeks after that change, and he says to me this morning, "Potty." Okay, cool. Any time he wants he can sit on the toilet. So we go in and I strip his pajama bottoms off and take his over-night diaper and stick it in the bucket, and sit him on the potty. "Go out," he commands. So I go out. I stand outside the door for maybe 30 seconds. "Done!" he calls. Back in I go and lift him off.

No pee. But there IS a little bit of something in there! "Finn! Did you do that?! Did you poop on the potty?!" He says, quite matter-of-factly, "Yes." I give him high-five and do a little dance. Then I realize he should probably be wiped.

I was tempted to let him go pants-less all day right then and there, but knowing that this could very well be the last time he poops in the toilet for the next year (because he's not like his sister) I decide against it. I do give him an entire handful of gummy candies and continue to twist and shout in his honor.

This was repeated again in the afternoon and a last time with Dad after dinner. He has yet to pee in the toilet, but I haven't changed a poopy diaper ALL DAY. To put that into perspective: three a day is normal for Finn. Friday I changed 5.

I still haven't declared us in official potty-training mode--he may be the kind of kid that just does it all on his own. That's fine. But I'm wary of pushing him very much because he is definitely the kind of kid that has no problem not doing something just to spite you. I am very much encouraged though!

(I'll put a picture up here tomorrow. But don't worry--it won't be one of those kid-sitting-on-the-potty pics. I promise.)

1 comment:

ML said...

This is so cute! I can't wait to see him and all of you!