Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Long, Loooong Trip

The kids and I just got back last night from our trip to Utah to visit with family and celebrate Kaitlyn's final release from the hospital and Alexa's graduation ceremony from the U. It was supposed to be a 2 week thing, then got turned into a 3 week thing then into a 3 1/2 week thing. Yikes. But it was worth it to spend time with the family! We only wish Mike could have gone with us.

Pardon the poor quality--I left the good camera here with Mike so these are all just iPhone shots.

Madie holds Mr. Finn on the airplane. And a few minutes later...

He's out.

Sweet Miss Madeleine.
Sleeping arrangements changed around a few times while we were there, but we started out with this: 
Me on that futon, Madie on a cushion on the floor, and Finn on a mat on the floor.
It didn't last long. Within a day or two of our being there, Finn really got good at getting around. This picture above is a few minutes after I put them to bed--in their OWN beds. I went back in because I heard them laughing and found Finn had decided to sleep with Big Sis. Hmmmm...luckily we visited Nana and Grandma Clark that weekend and Grandma hooked us up with a nice play pen--roomy, but decidedly contained.

The day before we arrived, Kaitlyn, who had just been allowed to have visitors under the age of 14 (the restriction was because of the flu season) came down with shingles and was banned from visits by people who hadn't had the chicken pox. Poor girl--of course that excluded her niece and nephews. Finally, about a week and a half later, she was not contagious anymore and the ban was lifted, so we went for a visit!

Squishy cheeks.

Sleeping on Aunt Alexa's lap.

When we got back from visiting one day, we found no one home and we didn't have a house key. So Finn and I snapped some shots outside while Madie slept in the car.
Dang, my kids are adorable.

Grammy has a cat named Marley. He's nice enough, but he needs to wizen up on living with young kids before I kill him. I like cats, really I do, but the first day we were there, Madie was napping and I went in to get her up and saw the cat curled up on the bed. When I pointed it out she said, "The cat scratched me." I laughed it off at first 'cause if a cat scratched me in my sleep, I'd have woken up and cried (at her age--now I'd just slap it across the head), but she hadn't made a peep the whole time she was in there and I had to actually wake her up. But sure enough, on her cheek near the back was a single, long red claw mark. WHAT THE? Needless to say, Marley had to really work to gain grace in my eyes.

Still though, Madie loved him.

Grammy also has a nice big porch. With a swing. And a baby swing in the back. Finn loved it.


Swinging with Aunt Kaitlyn.
There's a nice park right down the street, so we hit that up a few times. 

Smiles! We love to be outside!
Walking to the park and eating a GrossGurt. She loved those things.
Uncle Ezra and Finnegan at the park.
Madie really wanted to visit the temple. Really bad. So Grammy promised to take her there. We did that as a family on Sunday after Kait got out. It was such a nice night.

The Salt Lake temple from the south. Not bad for a phone.
The Christus in the North Visitor's Center. Madie really liked all the statues in the building.
Balancing.
By some flower beds. They smelled so good!
 We also got the unique opportunity to visit The Wishing Place with Kaitlyn. What a cool place! And what an awesome foundation. It makes me so joyful knowing there are people out there who just live to grant the wishes of others--pay for them, plan them, and carry them out. I can't wait for Kait's wish to be carried out!

In the tower. What's this called again, Mum? In Grammy's arms is Finnegan, in Grampy's is Killian. Sweet little cousins. 
A pretty lit window leading to the tower. The whole place is very cool.
Each star represents a child's wish that's been fulfilled.

There are some wishes more popular than others--they say the most popular wish for teenagers is a shopping spree. And the granters go all out--fly them to a big city, give them a credit card, put them in a limo, and give them the run--totally alone--of upscale stores. The younger kids overwhelmingly choose Disneyworld. Others, like Kaitlyn, want family trips. (She knows where it's at!) Some of these kids get really creative though--one boy asked for a one-on-one with Michael Jordan! The first 6 wishes granted by Make A Wish, Utah are displayed on a wall (the others are as well, but in simple frames, these are a display). One girl wished for a secret garden. In a will she wrote herself, which is also on display, she told her parents, in BIG letters, to "give the house to [either of her siblings] so the garden will stay in the family." Then she promised that if they ever needed her or sought her out, she would come to the garden and see them there.

Whew! Now that the tears have dried up I can see to type again.

A couple days before we left, we finally got our girls' night! But first! A preface:

Kaitlyn has a light-up pillow pet nightlight a dear friend gave her. It's a colorful unicorn. Madie fell deeply in love with it, and Kait said, "Well, if she really wants it she can have it. It's not like I use it. The only thing is, it's from Lakell." Well, Grammy wasn't about to force Kait to give up a gift from Lakell, so she went out and got one for Madie. Then when we were getting ready for our girls' night, I told Madie we'd be going on a carriage ride and explained what that was. Right before we left, she asked, "Can my unicorn come on the carriage ride too?" Sooooooo here we are...
Madie and Mustang Sally coming down the stairs of the parking garage.
Aunts Eden and Kaitlyn help Madie into the carriage. They were all decked out for spring!
Madie and me with Burt.

The night before we left we had a family barbeque. It was fun to get together with everyone for a little while. I wish I could have seen a couple of my brothers more, but it was great to see them for at least a little bit. And of course, seeing my sisters and Levi and Ezra and Raquel was fun. And we got to meet Mr. Killian, who has the most awesome poker face you'll ever see.

Grampy and Grammy with Killian and Finnegan.

We got home last night around 10 pm. There was some concern by Mike and my parents that Finn wouldn't remember Daddy. Those were shot down the second Finnegan saw Dad standing in the lobby. Madie of course, ran right to him.


Oh Daddy! We missed you!

2 comments:

Ben and Kristen Call said...

3 1/2 weeks!?! What a nice long, fun trip! So glad to hear your sister is doing well! Glad you could enjoy some time with your family!

ML said...

I miss Sweet Madeleine and Baby Finn! Can't wait to see you all this summer!